(Ah, Monday. Time to get moving. (Or so I tell myself.)
One of my goals for 2019 was to get more active. And I’ll tell ya, so far so good. Let’s review:
- Sign up for the Lincoln Half-Marathon in May. Check. Yes. I signed up. Official training starts in February.
- Get to the gym at least three times a week. That first week of January? Wasn’t so successful on this, BUT it was really nice outside and I took the dogs for a walk almost every day. Starting the second week of January though? I’ve hit my goal.
- Walk the dogs. So, this has been a little tough. The weather hasn’t exactly cooperated, and it’s either been snowing, the sidewalks icy or the wind howling (dropping the wind chill temps to dangerous levels). We’ll get better once the weather turns, but we did take advantage of that first week of January when it was very nice outside.
Overall, I’ve been happy with how January has gone from an activity standpoint. I’ve been trying to make time for the gym, and I’ve found one of my biggest issues is the excuse/motivation aspect. I’ve been using podcasts (My Favorite Murder!) and music to get me excited about showing up, as well as trying a lot of different things (stair stepper, elliptical, running, group classes).
If you’re in the same boat and trying to get more active, I wish I had better advice on how to get motivated. I don’t even have that entirely figured out myself. But I do have a playlist! It’s nothing fancy, nor will it be for everyone, but it includes a lot of the songs that are on repeat when I’m at the gym. It’s different from my running playlist too, which I plan to share another time.
Also, does anyone find that new workout gear is a bit of a motivator? I’m not sure what it is, but a new pair of leggings always seems to get me off my butt and to the gym. If you’re like that too, I have a few recommendations of pieces you should add to your arsenal (for men and women).
- Zella Live In High Waist Leggings – The BEST leggings around. I mean it. The absolute best. I purchased a pair during the Nordstrom Anniversary sale in 2017 and never looked back. They’re comfortable for the gym, and just to wear out and about. Seriously the best leggings ever.
- Zella Twisty Turn Tee (On sale!) – This top is a go-to for me. Super comfortable.
Also, if you wear a large or extra large, please go buy these Nike Epic Lux Running Leggings, because I’m obsessed with them. (Also, they’re cheaper at Nordstrom even with Nike giving a 20% additional discount. [eyeball emoji])
- Nike Legend 2.0 Dri-FIT T-shirt – A few color options, and you can’t go wrong with these type of t-shirts.
- And the long sleeve version! – Seriously, same shirt. Just long sleeves.
- adidas Tiro Soccer Training Pant – You for sure do not need to play soccer for these pants. I have a pair in women’s, and they’re a go-to. Super comfortable.
The good news is that if you’re on the hunt for something, Nordstrom has sales on up to 50% for men, women and kids. I’ve found the deals are better than if you go directly to the brand’s website (as I mentioned above), so it might be the time to stock up on some basics.
All in all, it’s been a good start to the year from an activity standpoint. I hope the weather gets a little friendlier soon, because I would like to get back to walking the dogs more consistently. Soon enough, I suppose.
Are you working toward any health/fitness goals in 2019? Let me know. I’d love to know what’s working for you. Or if you have any song/podcast recommendations! I’m always up for new things to listen to, especially if they’ll get me moving.
Hope you all have a good week. Let’s get after it, shall we?